VE Day Celebrations
Friday 8th May is a celebration to commemorate the 75th anniversary of VE Day, a day which marks the end of WWII in Europe, when Nazi Germany formally surrendered to the Allies. Government guidance means that a lot of the celebrations due to take place on the bank holiday weekend have been postponed or cancelled. However, you can continue the VE Day celebrations at home. The Oaks Academy Humanities department would like students and parents to do something creative to pay tribute to the heroes of WWII that sacrificed so much; many soldiers giving their tomorrow so that we could have our today.
A Pathe news from 75 years ago
How will you celebrate Victory in Europe Day?
Why not try some of the suggestions on this page to create your own VE Day Celebrations.
Please send in photo’s of your activity to
There will be rewards for the best activities.
- Design a plaque or memorial to commemorate the sacrifice of those that fought/lost their lives in WWII.
- Cook a ration dish to celebrate VE Day
- Bake some cakes to celebrate VE Day – could you serve your own afternoon tea?
- Create a 1940’s wartime playlist.
- Try out a WWII hairstyle, makeup look or design a WWII style outfit – this could be an actual item of clothing or a drawing.
- Create a piece of art to celebrate VE Day – a painting, drawing, sculpture or 3D model.
- Research the events of VE Day in 1945 and then write a front-page newspaper documenting what happened and its significance.
- Could you have a WWII inspired picnic in your garden to celebrate VE Day?
- Create a VE Day TikTok dance.
VE Day party guide
Cook a ration dish
Cook a ration dish, recipe suggestions can be found below: