Teaching and Learning
I am writing at the end of our first two full weeks of remote learning, and the end of our first full week of live lessons for all year groups. Firstly, I would like to start by saying a big thank you to all our families for supporting us on this journey. We know times are not easy, and we really do value your support in continuing to educate your children at this difficult time. Remote learning brings many challenges to all of us, as teachers we love nothing more than seeing your children every day and whilst live lessons are the best way that we can ensure your child continues to learn, not seeing their faces is something that I know we all miss.
Please can you continue to encourage your child to attend their live learning lessons, these form a really important part of their home learning as it allows teachers to engage in a more personal way, live model the work and offer support and assistance. We have been delighted that over the last two weeks engagement in learning has risen to 72% of our school cohort, this is testament to value that I know many of our families place on education, and the support that you offer at home in ensuring that your children access their learning. Please can I say a big thank you for all the staff at The Oaks for this support.
Throughout this journey we will continue to monitor our successes and areas for development, and we will continue to share with you any new information we may have to support you at home. Please remember that this journey is new to us all and your feedback both positive and developmental is key is us shaping our provision.
Many thanks to those parents who completed the home survey that was sent last week, following this feedback we have addressed some of your suggestions and I hope as we move forward, we can continue to work together in this positive way.
Please could you take 2 minutes to complete the survey so we can review our home learning after our first full week of live lessons. Click here or on the Microsoft Forms image to access the survey.
In readiness for week 3, I have highlighted some key things that could support home learning further:
- Please can you ensure that children are on time for their live lessons, missing the first 5-10 minutes means that they may struggle with accessing independent tasks. Below is a reminder of lesson start times.
- If you or your child needs to re-watch a live lesson as a reminder of the key learning, you can do this once the lesson has ended by clicking back on the original link which will play a recording of the lesson. It is important that your child still attends the live lesson as this gives them an opportunity to allows the teacher to assess student learning and allows us to monitor attendance and engagement.
- Teachers may set an assignment with a deadline for your child to meet. Please can you support your child in submitting their work on time via the assignment tab. Please click here or on the YouTube picture to see a pupil demonstrating how to submit work. The assignment tab will allow teachers to continue to give personal feedback in line with department expectations in school.
- If your family is using mobile data to access live lessons or download work we may be able to help. The government is piloting a scheme to allow schools to ask for extra data allowances for students currently working from home. More information and eligibility criteria can be found on the website, please visit http://www.theoaksacademy.co.uk/data-increase-for-students-working-from-home/.
- If you have been issued a laptop by school this week you can access Microsoft Word and PowerPoint via your school email by clicking on the 9 dots in the top left hand corner.
- All parents have been sent a new timetable via schools COMMS. Please check this timetable in advance of Mondays lessons as there are some minor changes.
We are very pleased to say that the website is back live and fully functional. Please accept our sincerest apologies about this technical hiccup. The links through the temporary page, sent in previous communication, should still work. However, we would advise that you access the information straight from The Oaks Academy website going forward.
Consent for Lateral Flow Testing (Covid-19)
We are continuing to gather consent information from all students for the Lateral Flow Testing. To help settle any worries about this testing we have produced a short video of Mr Frost completing his Lateral Flow Test. Please click the image or link below to see the video and access the relevant information about Lateral Flow Tests. http://www.theoaksacademy.co.uk/lateral-flow-testing/
Thank you to all parents who have returned the consent form for Lateral Flow Testing. If you are yet to respond, the preferred method is electronically through Microsoft Forms. Alternative ways can be found on the website via the link above. If you would like further assistance with this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent Support Meeting
Last week we ran two Parent Support meetings on zoom. We hope that you found these sessions useful and informative. If you were unable to attend these sessions you can find the PowerPoint and a video exploring Microsoft Teams on the website. Please visit http://www.theoaksacademy.co.uk/covid-19/#video. If you have any further questions regarding accessing work or to discuss the work set for your child, please contact Mrs Abberley directly on email@example.com.
Free School Meals
In response to schools being closed to most pupils during the current national lockdown, the national free school meals voucher scheme will soon be available again to provide support to families during term time. This will be managed centrally by the Department for Education and provided by Edenred. If you are in receipt of free school meals you will be contacted, by Edenred, in due course.
Finally, I would like to finish by saying your family’s welfare is important to us. Please remember we are still here for you and your child, and should you need any support then please do not hesitate to ask. We will continue to keep in touch with all of our families on a weekly basis as we know that the key to a child success is when school and home work together. Thankyou once again for your support.