The curriculum, for all year groups, has been planned, so that:
- Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle;
- Be aware of safety issues both on and offline;
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem, resilience and character and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues;
- Develop personal attributes including kindness, integrity, generosity and honesty;
- Recognise potential risks and know how to manage these risks safely;
- Understand what makes good healthy relationships with others;
- Be independent and responsible members of the school community;
- Be positive and active members of a democratic society;
- Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic process, including respect for the basis on which law is made and applied in England.
- Accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative and understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality in which the school is situated and to society more widely;
- Distinguish between right and wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- Develop positive relationships with other members of the school and the wider community;
- Encourage respect for other people, paying particular regard to the protected characteristics set out in the Equality Act 2010;
- Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling pupils to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- Acquire a broad general knowledge and respect for public institutions and services in England;
Throughout their time at The Oaks Academy we will actively promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of the law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with other faiths and beliefs.
Year 7 and 8: Two lessons over a fortnight
Years 9 – 11: One lesson in a fortnight
Alongside a comprehensive assembly programme for each year group, workshops and presentations from external agencies and an occasional ‘drop down’ day for each year group.