Art and Design KS4

INTRODUCTION

The Art Course will involve an exploration of all aspects of Painting and Drawing as a basis for creative work in a variety of media and will aim to develop your ability to work from direct observation as well as your own     awareness of the many different ways in which Art work can be produced.

WHAT TOPICS WILL I STUDY DURING THE COURSE?

You will study a variety of themes and projects, many working from direct observation and some referring to the methods and techniques used by established artists.  You will also have the opportunity to study outside of the classroom on a field visit – previous visits have been to Liverpool’s Albert Dock and a visit to the London

Galleries or the Lake District.

WHAT SKILLS WILL I USE AND DEVELOP?

You will use and develop skills already acquired whilst exploring new methods of working along the way.  You will be encouraged to become more independent, producing original and personal art work in response to a number of set themes and projects.  The course itself is now a broad based study of a range of creative processes.  You will begin your GCSE Coursework as soon as the course commences in Year 10 so commitment and good time

management are essential.

WHAT EXAMINATIONS WILL I TAKE?

AQA, GCSE Art and Design (Fine Art). Your examination piece consists of a 10 hour exam plus a sketchbook preparation period.

HOW WILL MY WORK BE ASSESSED?

Your work will be assessed at the end of each project so that you can see how you are progressing.  For GCSE your work is assessed at the end of Year 11 by means of an exhibition of the best coursework projects. Your coursework accounts for 60% of your final mark with the remaining 40% awarded for your examination piece.

HOW WILL THE COURSE HELP ME WITH MY FUTURE CAREER?

The course is excellent preparation for further studies in Art and Design – the most able students going on to ‘A’ level – which in turn can lead to a Degree and professional qualifications e.g. Graphic Designer, Fashion & Interior Design, Illustration, Architecture, Teaching etc.

OR

The GCSE could be a stepping stone to BTEC National Diplomas and GNVQ courses in a variety of art-based areas – Hairdressing, Fashion, Photography, Fabrics, Interior Design, Graphics, Technical Drawing as well as Fine Art. 

Finally, a GCSE qualification can also be used in combination with a variety of other subjects to obtain entry to courses after The Oaks Academy, even if you are not intending to specialise in Art.

WHO SHOULD I CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?

Mrs Abberley or Miss Grimes